(written by John Topliff, Zondervan executive traveling with Rob)
We experienced another terrific event Feb. 15 at the University of Kentucky during Rob Bell’s Sex God Tour. Here are the highlights:
1. Over 1,400 people. A standing-room-only-crowd in the University of Kentucky’s Center for the Arts Auditorium gave Rob Bell a raucous and loud UK welcome as he dashed onto the stage at 8:20 p.m. It was as if the UK Wildcat basketball team just ran onto the court in Rupp Arena. What excitement!
2. Rob began with a brief word about the 5-plus-hour drive from Detroit to Lexington, and his new book, Sex God.
3. Rob quickly opened the evening to Q & A. Many questions were focused on Rob’s new book and issues of sexuality and relationships — perfect for this college audience.
4. The UK Christian Student Fellowship sponsored the event and they did a remarkable job spreading the word throughout Lexington and to near-by colleges.
5. 80% of the attendees were students, most from UK, with many from Asbury College and Seminary.
6. Special tour posters and flyers, plus word-of-mouth, drew attendees; some who had been waiting in the fine arts auditorium since before 7 p.m.
8. NOOMA 015: You premiered to strong applause and great appreciation. Many people wished we had NOOMA 015 for sale at the event (it releases on March 16).
9. Rob greeted hundreds of people, had his photograph taken, and signed books for over 90 minutes after the NOOMA premier.
10. Read Ben Witherington’s blog: "Rob Bell hits Lexington and a Packed-Out House".
The rest of the tour is as follows:
March 6: University of Washington—Seattle
March 7: University of California—Berkeley
March 8: University of California—Los Angeles
March 9: Northwestern University—Chicago
For more details about specific tour venues and directions, visit www.sexgodtour.com