(written by John Topliff, Zondervan executive traveling with Rob)
Rob Bell’s Sex God Tour launched in Ann Arbor at the historic Power Center on the University of Michigan campus on Thursday, February 8. Here are the highlights:
1. A capacity crowd: over 1,000 people attended. Great energy in the room.
2. Over 1/2 of the attendees were students from Michigan, Eastern Michigan, and surrounding colleges. This was our goal — engage students with Rob’s message about what it means to be human and to be in relationship with people and with God.
3. Every copy of Sex God sold out, and many copies of Velvet Elvis, and NOOMA DVDs were sold.
4. Rob answered questions from the audience for 55 minutes. Questions were intelligent, searching, wide-ranging (violence, violence in the Old Testament, depression, the church’s view of recovery, predestination, univeralism). Rob was funny, serious, stimulating, biblically wise, poignant, powerful. The audience did not want the evening to end. Rob received a huge round of applause.
5. NOOMA 015: You premiered to an enthusiastic ovation (this NOOMA will release on March 16).
6. Rob signed books and greeted people until long after 10:30 p.m.
Read the Detroit Free Press article.
Let’s give God praise! The message of the gospel was declared clearly, lovingly, and powerfully by Rob Bell on the campus of the University of Michigan.
For more details about specific tour venues and directions, visit www.sexgodtour.com