If you missed last week’s Beyond Boundaries Webcast with Dr. John Townsend, no worries — you can still watch the video. Below you’ll also find a downloadable Viewing Guide and notes on Townsend’s key takeaways.
Dig Deeper with the Viewing Guide
If you’re going to watch the video with your small group, this download may come in handy:
Download the Viewing Guide (Outline + Discussion Questions) (PDF)
Here I’ve woven together the Viewing Guide outline with my own notes. I hope it’s helpful!
Beyond Boundaries Webcast
Our Need for Boundaries & for Connectedness – 0:01
- Part of the human condition is that trust goes bad, but we’re designed by God to connect with others.
- Difference between non-negotiable “heart boundaries” and more flexible “protective boundaries”
- But we’re designed by God to connect with others, so how do we know where to set up healthy protective boundaries?
Question One: How do I know when I’m ready? – 6:12
- Have you learned a lesson? “Every difficult relationship has a lesson in it,” says Townsend. “Ask yourself, ‘Why did I let that go on so long?’”
- Have you been through some growth and healing? Have I talked about it with others? Is my judgment any better?
- Christie, a “fixer,” shares her story. – 9:07
- Question from audience: How do you know when the learning is through? – 13:22
Question Two: How do I know when the other person is ready? – 15:11
- Do they really care about their impact on you?
- Why it’s important for them to get grace and truth from other people in their life.
- Phil shares his story, how he knew he could trust the woman he was dating – 20:38
- Question from audience on trusting our judgment. In Townsend’s words, “What if my people picker is pooped?” – 26:22
- Question: How can I have realistic standards? – 28:00
Question Three: How do I take steps forward? – 30:05
- 2 tips on how to have “the talk”
- 4 speed bumps in relationships
- Story from Rhonda on the process of growth – 36:53
- How do you get over the fear of having “the talk”? – 41:50
- What if things begin to go bad during this process? – 43:28
- “Don’t ever settle.” – 45:50
Learn More about Beyond Boundaries
Beyond Boundaries by Dr. John Townsend
Beyond Boundaries Curriculum, a video study for small groups
Other Posts of Interest
No Boundaries is No Way to Live: The True Story of a Super-Nice Landlord
(-Adam Forrest, Zondervan Internet Team. This post does not represent the views of Zondervan or any of its representatives. The writer’s opinions are his own, and are shared for information purposes only. To receive new blogposts in your reader or email inbox, subscribe to Zondervan Blog.)